Monday, June 30, 2014

Mashaa Monday

It's Mashaa Monday again. I'm slowly starting to get my wrist back to regular use, too. Phew!

(Mashaa Mondays are where I mash all the little bits and pieces too small to warrant their own posts into one post.)
$12 for two metres of gorgeousness? Yoink!


  • On the weekend I went to buy another couple of metres of the blue broadcloth I'm using as the contrasting triangle in my 'Nesting' quilt but that particular store had run out of my colour so to cheer myself up I bought some half-metres of pretty fabric that were being cleared out for $6 per metre.
  • I sewed up another stripset, this time deliberately choosing placement of each strip, and making it symmetrical so if I cut wedges from it, they'll all be the same. I certainly missed being able to press after adding each strip, though. It's not as easy to press long strips in a straight line if both sides are already sewn to another strip.


  • I've also been watching loads of quilting videos, because I was so bored. This worked against me in the end, though because it just kept inspiring me to go make something and then I became all sad that I had to wait. :P
    One of the things that's been inspiring me the most is Debbie Caffrey's Craftsy class, 'Cut To It', in which she shows some very smart ways to cut. There's been so many "Why on earth didn't I think of that?!" lightbulb moments. Like this one where she cross-cut a large half-square triangle into many pieces:

mind = blown

  • And yesterday I finally pressed and cut my first saviour strip-set. But I don't think my brain was working even as well as my wrist because for some reason I chose to use the widest angle on my ruler, so I only got four pieces from that huge width-of-fabric stripset.

Look at those smaller angles right in front of me. I'm a doofus! :P
That's it for Mashaa Monday this week. Hopefully I'll be getting back to normal this week and be able to finally show you the HST method that's been working for me which I believe I promised two weeks ago. Oops.

-Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Err, no I don't. They scare me because eek, people!
But I need to step out of my comfort zone, so comment away and hopefully I won't find them so scary after all. :D