Saturday, June 21, 2014

Scrap Vomit

Hmm. What to do when I feel the need to sew but my right wrist is injured and I'm not really supposed to use it?

After some thought I set myself some rules. Only sewing straight lines so I wasn't rotating my wrist, and no pinning, cutting or pressing so I wasn't putting any pressure on my wrist. Then I sat down at my sewing machine to play a little.



I just opened my scrap box, grabbed the first piece I got my hands on, added the first piece I found that was a similar size to one of its edges, and so on. I wasn't able to cut so if a piece was too long I had to find a shorter piece. That was another rule I set for myself which also helped me to just let go and not try to plan out what I was doing. I wasn't paying attention to colour or value, just size and shape so it made for some interesting combinations. Definitely scrap vomit. :P



I just kept going, adding more pieces until I could no longer find any that fit. If I didn't have any long enough, but thought the block was still too small, I sewed some that were the same thickness together to make a long enough piece to help.
Continuing in this manner, before I knew it my free time was over and I'd ended up with three blocks.






Once I can cut and press again I'll trim them and then figure out how to use them as the basis of a new quilt project.
It certainly was loads of fun so I might do it again some day by choice, even. In the meantime I'm very much looking forward to my wrist mending because I have triangles to cut, press and sew, dammit!

-Strange.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Err, no I don't. They scare me because eek, people!
But I need to step out of my comfort zone, so comment away and hopefully I won't find them so scary after all. :D